Friday, April 22, 2011

the stubborn and slow springtime

So far, this spring season has been a big ol' bummer. It's been colder than average, cloudier than necessary (yes, I decide what's necessary), and just miserable. My unheated greenhouse is not what it was last year. So far, not a single tomato or pepper seed has sprouted. Plenty of basil, chamomile, oregano, thyme, sage, dill, broccoli, cabbage, onions, and zinnia... you'd think I would be grateful for what I have... and, I am. BUT, I need those mater and peppers to sprout or there will not be time for them to mature in this short New England season. If I have to buy plants, I will have to go light on my crop .(the heirlooms cost a fortune!)
Instead of 40 tomato plants, I'll have 6. I will also have to settle for the varieties that the grower chose, instead of the funky ones I spent my winter dreaming about.
So sad. Not end of the world sad, but sad in a way that I feel a little spoiled complaining about yet not enough to stop me from feeling slighted by Mother Nature.

No comments: