Saturday, March 19, 2011

Thank you, Mother



I am THRILLED!!!! I saved seeds from my Tigger melons last season and they are viable! Sprouted and growing as I type! Considering that a packet of 25 seeds costs $3.50... well, it's incredbly exciting to me that I can buy one packet of seeds and then be able to produce melons and then viable seeds year after year. $3.50 can provide gorgeous, fragrant melons for years... YEARS!
Think of the possibilties... I spent $120 on seed this year. That $120 could potentially feed my family fresh, organic veg (and make me some serious $$$$) for years to come. I am in awe of what mother nature has provided me. I am in awe and oh so grateful.

Here are some facts about Tigger Melons:
The Tigger Melon is an open-pollinated melon that is among a full spectrum of heirloom varieties that have not seen any hybridization or commercialization as netted melons and watermelons have. It has little exposure to the commercial market and is considered a farmers market melon. Its heirloom status makes it vulnerable to pests and disease, allowing for typically minimal yields.

Description/Taste
A petite heirloom melon, the tigger's smooth rind has vertical variegations of rust orange and yellow. The melon's creamy, off-white flesh is very aromatic, juicy and subtly sweet. Average tigger melons weigh a modest one pound.

Applications
Slice tigger melons in half, remove seeds and fill with cut, fresh fruit, then serve as an edible bowl. Puree tigger and strain to remove the juice from the pulp; add sugar and agar agar, pour into a container, chill until set, then slice and serve as gelatin. Chop melon and combine with sugar and pectin in a saucepan, then cook until thickened pour jam into jars. Tigger melons will keep, refrigerated, for up to two weeks.

Geography/History
The tigger melon was originally discovered in Armenia. Like most melon varieties it prefers warm to hot growing days of summer in temperate and Mediterranean regions.

No comments: